Skilled Independent visa is a point tested visa for the skilled workers who are not sponsored by a family member or an employer or nominated by a territory or state government.
An expression of interest has to be registered during which a skilled occupation on the skilled occupation list (SOL) has to be nominated that best matches the skills and qualification of the individual.
Prior to receiving an invitation, one must have had his or her skills assessed which are suitable for the occupation through an assessing authority for the occupation nominated by the individual.
Applicants are authorized to apply for this visa if invited to apply. Upon receiving the invitation the application has to be lodged within a specified time frame.
Additional requirements for this visa are as follows:
- The age of the applicant has to be less than 50 years during the time of the receiving the invitation
- Meet English language requirement (IELTS and OET are accepted)
- Has to attain minimum required points of 60
Privileges granted to visa holders:
- Study and work in Australia on permanent basis
- Stay in Australia for indefinite period
- Avail Medicare
- Gain the eligibility to apply for Australian citizenship, if suitable
- Sponsor qualified relatives for permanent residence
- Privileged to travel into or from Australia for a duration of five year applicable from the date of visa grant